Wednesday 16 September 2015

High Heels and Parking Passes (16/09/2015 - Day 4)

Greetings.

Today was a bit of a lazy day as emphasized by the pajamas pants I'm currently sporting.

I know I've mentioned this several times already, but I absolutely love sociology! It's such an interesting class. The prof makes it hysterical. We were talking about social structures today, and somehow we got on the topic of high heels. He started the discussion by zealously saying into the mic "Why do women wear uncomfortable shoes!?" to which a woman in the crowd of students raised her hand, and promptly quoted "She's the Man". I don't remember the exact quote, so I'll paraphrase - high heels are a man's invention designed to make woman's butts look better and to make it more difficult for them to run away. Genius.

Some other random woman in the crowd made a rebuttal that perhaps woman want to assert their sexiness, or their independence by wearing whatever they want. Perhaps high heels help a woman feel more dominant? Whatever the case, the prof replied with "Yeah, maybe you wake up one day and go f*** it, I'm wearing heels." It certainly made my day.

I'm beginning to get a little concerned about the work load I've taken on, and last night after talking to my parents, and some other extended relatives, I realized that I'm already trying to do too much. Looks like I won't be running for 1st year representative in the student union like I had intended. It's just too much. I'd like to be able to study and have some fun. I'll be working 3 jobs anyways, and I calculated that with the honorarium awarded to the 1st year rep., I'd likely only get 5 dollars an hour for working in student union. Pfft, not worth.

I'm really looking forward to reffing volleyball though. It was difficult to stay focused the other day, what with it being such a long haul at the uni. This weekend there's technical portion I'll be attending. Hopefully I'll be able to blog on those days... they should be LOOOONG days. Thankfully I'll be staying with my grandparents who regularly spoil me. (Thank Grandma/Grandpa, but mostly Grandma because she bakes the goodies! ;) )

There were waffles today at the institute. For those who aren't aware, I attend an institute of religion ran by the LDS church Admittedly it's not my favorite past time. In fact, I strongly dislike it.

The whole thing seems very contrived. We've learned the same things our entire lives, and I'm rather sick of hearing people spout off the same primary answers over and over again. It's quite the contrast coming from a university class room setting to an institute class setting. I don't know, maybe I'm just a bad sport, but when the instructor went over requirement for graduating seminary I kind of scoffed. The attendance and reading assignments are not things I'm interesting in doing. I'm really only there for the parking pass. We finally went over requirements to hold the parking pass, which, of course, were much lower than those for graduation. 50% attendance requirement to hold the parking pass. This is a good thing. Waffles are served every Wednesday, so I guess I'll only go every Wednesday. Heh.

By the time I got home I was not in the mood to do anything. I feel like I should be reading but I just can't make myself do it. I decided that at 7:00pm I'd go over some homework. I need to read some things found in my writing textbook, but I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to read. Was it all of chapter 3? Or just chapter 3 part a? Crap.

I've been told that learning how each prof works is vitally important to my success in uni. I need to discover for myself which classes I can just kind of "coast" and which will be the "nose in the book" classes. So far, management seems to be sort of a breeze, whereas writing and macroeconomics are slightly more difficult.

Meh, I should probably start doing homework. In other news, I'm going coulee exploring tomorrow. Should be a blast.

Until tomorrow,

Brady

No comments:

Post a Comment